Thursday, March 22, 2007

Money, Money, Money

Economists are supposed to be interested in money. (If so why did I become an economist, particularly an academic one?) Well compared to most people I am very interested in money, maybe not so much having it but the actual coins and bills. I am facinated by little factoids like more US currency circulates outside the US than inside. (How do they know, I wonder.) Or a large percentage of $20 bills have trace amounts of cocaine on them from the drug trade.

James Lileks is an writer I like reading. He is always coming up with weird stuff including this site that has pictures of interesting bills. Take a look at some strange money.

1 comment:

PeeJumpty said...

Money is very interesting. I often think about whose & how many hands money has passed through. I didn't know that about the $20 bills and will probably think about that every time I see one now.

My favorite bills from other nations have been the most colorful ones.

Will you teach 202 in the Spring? I hope my husband can take your class (he's working on getting the courses he needs to become a CPA.)